2 teaspoon yellow or red miso
4 1/2 cups water
4 teaspoons soy sauce
4 thin slices ginger, grated
2 clove garlic, grated
¼ cup mirin
1 tablespoons sugar
2 small head baby bok choy, cut into 1/2-inch slices
5 large “momofuku” shiitake mushrooms
1 scallion, white and green parts, thinly sliced, plus extra for garnish
2 teaspoon ponzu sauce
1/2 Sriracha or other Asian hot sauce, to taste, optional
toasted sesame seeds or gomashio (optional)
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook the soba noodles according to the package’s instructions. Drain. Rest in soy sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the miso and 1 cup water.
- In a medium-size saucepan, bring the remaining 3.5 cups water, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, mirin and sugar to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the bok choy, shiitakes, scallions, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until the vegetables are wilted.Gently stir in the miso, ponzu, and sriracha.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with extra scallions.
- Squeeze of lemon, sprinkle of sesame seeds and togarashi.